Sunday, August 16, 2009

Opening a retail coffee house - part 4

After all the logistics of the coffee house was getting in order, I had to start thinking about the menu. I fell in love with coffee while attending U.C. Berkeley and was accustomed to the coffee there. My favorite place was a cafe on Bancroft called Cafe Milano. They made their coffee strong and tasty. My drink of choice was the "wet" cappuccino. Which was basically a cappuccino with not only foam but also steamed milk. So when I started my shop, I knew I would fashion it after the Berkeley style of coffee. My husband and I spent a weekend at the shop just making drink after drink after drink...trying to figure out the best recipe. We were completely WIRED after tasting all the drinks. In the end we decided we would have 4 sizes; small = 8oz, medium = 12oz, large = 16oz and a XL at 20oz. We made brewed our coffee strong using 1/5lb (.20) for each 64oz pot of coffee. And for our lattes and cappuccinos, we used 1 shot of espresso for each size, so that a small had 1 shot, medium had 2 shots, large had 3 shots and XL had 4 shots. If you are a coffee drinker, you know that is alot. I think at Starbucks, their standard is 1 shot of espresso for any size even a XL or as they call it, a grande. That just seems so weak to me. On our menu board, we even had a statement, it said "WARNING OUR COFFEE IS STRONG!"

No comments:

Post a Comment