Sunday, August 2, 2009

Opening a retail coffee house - part 3

One of the most frustrating tasks was dealing with the city. This was not only frustrating but very intimidating. I don't know why, but every time I walked into the city planning office, my heart would race and my palms would sweat. I kept telling myself that these are only regular people like myself and yet in the back of my mind I would know that despite them being "regular" people, they could make my life hard. Every city is a little bit different, but in most you would go into the planning department first and fill out an application. You need to include the address of your proposed business and the first step they check is the zoning for that location. You can't just open up a retail coffee location anywhere. It needs to be in an area approved for retail. That was the easy step for me. The part I had a problem with was when they wanted the plans for my shop. I am an organized and detailed person and I would say a "DIY" (a do-it-yourself) type of person. I've seen blueprints before and thought I could draw them myself. Of course, I'm not an architect or an engineer, but I figured I'm not drawing a house or even walls that are load bearing. I was just drawing the layout of my coffee house; the counters, refrigerator placement, tables, sinks, pony wall, etc. I even went to a blueprint business and had my drawing printed on blueprint paper with the funny smell. It looked great, if I say so myself. I took the drawing to the city planning department to have it approved. The planner looked at my blueprints, checked that it had all the necessary information on it, and was just about to stamp approved on it, and then he stopped. He looked at it again and asked where was the architect wet stamp. I smiled and said proudly, "I did it myself." And he said, well I can't approve it without an architect stamp. I asked him what was wrong with the plans, did I do something wrong, was I missing something. And he said no it looks fine, BUT, it needs an architect stamp before it can be approved. So, I said, "you mean I have to pay an architect to draw my plans even though it's done correctly before you will approve them?" And he said yes. I tried to find an architect who would look at my plans and put their stamp on it, but guess what? Architects don't do that...they don't stamp other people's plans. So, I finally found an architect who basically copied the plans that I already drew so that he would stamp them so that the city would approve my plans...and all for the price of $1,000. Hmmm...now do you understand the frustration part?

1 comment:

  1. You've got to be kidding! You can't think of drawing your own plans if you're not qualified. Believe me, it was worth the $1000

    ReplyDelete